An ode to the French pharmacist Hyppolite Bonal, whose love for the botanicals of his childhood home in the Grand Chartreuse mountains spurred the creation of the world's first gentian-quina.
- 1.5 oz Bonal Gentiane-Quina
- 4 oz + 2 oz Cava, separated
- 1 orange, freshly juiced (Never bottled*), yields about 2.5 oz of juice
- 2 dashes Artemisia Æstas sumac bitters
- Juice your orange. *Bartender tip: we say fresh juice because bottled juices are pasteurized and they lose their vibrancy as a result. To maintain balance and verve, juicing your citrus to order is preferable.
- Pour orange juice, Bonal, and bitters into a cocktail shaker with ice.
- With you glasses nearby, add the first 4oz of cava to the shaker. Give the shaker a gentle swirl to incorporate, and strain into two glasses.
- Top each glass with 1 oz each of the remaining cava.